KANSAS CITY, Mo., July 18, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Cerner, a global leader in health care technology, today revealed design elements and the new identity for its I-435 and Bannister Road development. The campus will be called Innovations – a testament to the company’s work and vision.
“This project is a tangible reflection of Cerner’s growth and the next generation of health care innovations. The campus name and design features symbolize our commitment to develop solutions and services that will advance and improve the ever-changing health care industry. The work performed in these buildings will continue shaping the future of health care for both providers and patients,” said Cerner Chief Operating Officer Mike Nill.
Cerner, along with JE Dunn Construction and Grand Construction, teamed up with design and planning firm Gould Evans to emphasize Cerner’s position at the intersection of health care and technology, a description Cerner commonly uses to describe its work and the company’s vision.
“We’ve approached the site as a representation of the multi-layered, personal journey everyone takes through the health care landscape,” said Gould Evans Principal Anthony Rohr, AIA. “This new campus takes its name from the connections that occur when human ingenuity is in dialogue with nature. This concept is expressed in the way the campus buildings touch the land and integrate with the rambling landscape.”
Representations of binary coding and DNA sequencing – elements core to Cerner’s solution offerings and health care focus – will be prevalent in the final look of the buildings. The theme is integrated into various features and can be seen in small details like tiling and concrete paving. Some larger, attention-grabbing details, include:
- The Founder’s Staircase, located in the main entry between the first two towers, will feature metal perforated in binary code that translates into quotes from Cerner’s founders.
- A centrally located staircase collaboratorium, a 100-person space for associates to gather and exchange ideas, that connects the third and fourth floors.
- Metal panels inscribed with more than 340 of Cerner’s patents, with room for hundreds more. New panels will be added to celebrate Cerner’s future patents and innovations.
- A 188-foot-tall stainless steel facade, modeled after DNA sequencing, covering the outside of Tower 1. The DNA motif is common among several Cerner’s campuses, including in the signature spire at the company’s North Kansas City world headquarters and the facade of Cerner’s Continuous Campus in Kansas City, Kan.
- A system of walking paths, exercise stations and trails to promote a healthy lifestyle and associate interaction.
Cerner’s existing campus in south Kansas City will be renamed Realization. “Realization is the act of achieving something that was planned. The meaning of this word has a strong connection with our forward-thinking business and innovative culture,” Nill said. “Innovation is all about looking forward, and realization is the process of getting there.”
Cerner’s continued growth prompted the development of its seventh Kansas City-area campus. The first two towers are almost entirely enclosed. External paneling of the building and landscaping is underway, and the towers are scheduled to open in early 2017. Innovations is the largest economic development project in the history of the state.
Cerner’s health information technologies connect people, information and systems at more than 20,000 facilities worldwide. Recognized for innovation, Cerner solutions assist clinicians in making care decisions and enable organizations to manage the health of populations. The company also offers an integrated clinical and financial system to help health care organizations manage revenue, as well as a wide range of services to support clients’ clinical, financial and operational needs. Cerner’s mission is to contribute to the systemic improvement of health care delivery and the health of communities. On February 2, 2015, Cerner Corporation acquired substantially all of the assets, and assumed certain liabilities, of the Siemens Health Services business from Siemens AG. Nasdaq: CERN. For more information about Cerner, visitcerner.com, read our blog at cerner.com/blog, connect with us on Twitter at twitter.com/cerner and on Facebook at facebook.com/cerner. Our website, blog, Twitter account and Facebook page contain a significant amount of information about Cerner, including financial and other information for investors.